Saturday, June 5, 2010
Hey all! We had a good week trapping at SRS. We still are waiting for our third site to be approved (hopefully next time!) so we ran our 2 full arrays. The lizards we are catching have nymphs and larvae now and the few mammals we caught have very very low numbers of ticks on them at all. And guess what! WE FLAGGED LARVAE! Woot woot! It didn't seem like we were hitting larvae nests but getting a few here and there. I think we flagged about 70 all together.
As for our attempts at baits: Howie was right, our sunflower seeds started to sprout. We tried the lard, sunflower seeds, peanuts and oats blended and made into little balls and the ants LOVED it. We shook those out and the second and third night we used just rolled oats. Those were the nights we actually caught mammals so we are going to stick to oats. So far our trapping suggests low densities of small mammals. We'll see if that changes the longer those traps sit there and are "prebaited".
That's all for now!